Did you see this video message from AFP President and CEO Mike Geiger about the direction AFP is taking in the new year? A new priority for AFP is leadership development, to prepare members to step into the thousands of leadership roles that will be emerging over the next decade. This will take a multi-disciplinary approach, and for some AFP members in the Ottawa area, there is a unique resource to jumpstart this development, called Diversity in Leadership Ottawa (DLO).
DLO connects individuals from under-represented communities looking to step into a leadership role with Boards of Directors at not-for-profit organizations. DLO is an IDEA (Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Access) initiative from Volunteer Ottawa, and eligible candidates identify as Indigenous Peoples; visible minorities or racialized persons; new Canadians; LGBTQI2+ and/or people with disabilities. This program is unique in Canada and has become a valuable tool for organizations looking to be more inclusive and representative of the people they serve. The program supports candidates by providing free not-for-profit governance training and a matching service to help them find a great place to invest their time and talent.
Participating organizations have identified a particular need for directors with fundraising expertise. Consider joining a Board and leveraging your skills for your next passion project.
Why Serve on a Not-for-Profit Board
- Be a leader in your community
- Champion a social impact cause you care about
- Build your personal networks
- Know that your perspective will make a difference
- Gain valuable experience and build your portfolio
Access Governance Training at No Cost
- Qualified candidates have access to training that is created by experts in the field
- Governance education will give you key knowledge and confidence when applying for Board positions
Here’s what will happen when you sign up
- You will complete an online profile to establish your eligibility and provide information about your skills and interests
- DLO staff will review and be in touch for a telephone interview
- You will be set up with free governance training if you require it
Sign up today to step into a leadership role with DLO!
The DLO program seeks to increase diversity and enhance governance in non-profits and charities across the city. We address the diversity gap in governance structures by connecting qualified and trained candidates from under-represented groups to not-profit Boards.
For anyone not eligible for the DLO program, Volunteer Ottawa has more tools to help you find a great place to get involved. Attend a workshop on not-for-profit governance to learn how you can contribute effectively to a Board of Directors. Create a profile in the Volunteer Pool so organizations can find you when they are searching for volunteers with fundraising expertise or browse all the current openings posted by our 300 member organizations at VolunteerOttawa.ca.