2020 Chamberlain Scholarship Application - Now Closed.
Applications for the 2020 Chamberlain Scholarship are not closed. Please watch this space for 2021 scholarships!
AFP Ottawa Chapter is proud to offer the Chamberlain Scholarship Program for the AFP International Conference on Fundraising. This program is designed to help individuals serving non-profit organizations develop their knowledge and skill in fundraising.
The AFP Chamberlain Scholarship will cover the registration fee for the AFP 57th International Conference on Fundraising in Baltimore, Maryland,
March 29 – 31, 2020.
In addition, AFP Ottawa Chapter will award $1000 to the recipient. The successful applicant or their organization will be responsible for their airfare and accommodation to attend the conference in 2020.
Application Deadline: Sunday October 20th, 2020 by 11:59 p.m.
Chapters will select their Chamberlain Scholar based on the following criteria, which are established by the AFP Foundation for Philanthropy:
- Candidate is employed as a fundraising professional or, if candidate is an executive director, a substantial amount of time must be devoted to fundraising.
- Candidate has never attended an AFP or NSFRE International Conference on Fundraising as a registered participant (unless as a member of the Conference Host Committee) and is enthusiastic to attend the full conference as scheduled.
- Candidate agrees to complete a post-conference online evaluation regarding his or her experience for the Scholarship Committee.
- Only one individual from any local organization or institution may be selected.
In addition to this criteria, AFP Ottawa criteria include:
- Candidate has never received a bursary/scholarship of any kind to attend AFP International Conference on Fundraising in the past from AFP (including chapters/national or international)
- Candidate must be willing to share their AFP ICON experience with their chapter after the conference has concluded. Candidate agrees to write about their conference experience as the Bursary recipient which will be shared in the AFP Ottawa chapter communication networks (enews, website, social media etc).
The Ottawa Chapter invites members and non-members to apply.
What is the Chamberlain Scholarship?
The Chamberlain Scholarship Program honours Ralph Chamberlain, CFRE, a long-time fundraiser and supporter of AFP. Mr. Chamberlain helped to form one of the organization’s first chapters, the Greater New York Chapter and served as both chair of the association and the foundation. Because of his long-time support of the Foundation for Philanthropy, the AFP Board of Directors renamed the Conference Scholar Program in 2000 to honor Mr. Chamberlain’s memory and commitment to the fundraising profession.
Visit the 2020 AFP ICON website to learn more about this opportunity for professional development.
"It was so exciting to see and meet so many fundraising professionals around the world...
The knowledge transfer that took place over the three days was simply inspirational to say the least."
Read more about last year's Chamberlain Scholarship recipient's experience here.
AFP Ottawa Chapter Bursary to Congress
Applications for the 2019 Congress Bursary are now closed. Please watch this space for 2020 scholarships!
Tricia Johnson, recipient of the 2018 inaugural AFP Ottawa Chapter Bursary to Congress shares her experience as a first time attendee. Her blog is open and honest and really fits into the theme of Congress 2018 "Disrupt Philanthropy".
In her own words:
"For me, the lasting impact of Congress went beyond learning how to improve and track fundraising performance. It gave me the opportunity to learn from, and learn with, over 1,000 fundraising professionals, many of whom are black and excelling in the profession.
I haven’t had an experience like that before. It was thrilling and empowering; they were leading their charities in progressive and inclusive new directions, and teaching others to do the same."