What is the CFRE?
The Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) credential demonstrates an individual’s mastery of the standards set for core knowledge and skills required of fundraising executives after five years of experience. This practice-based designation requires demonstration of having met these standards through both an application and a written examination.
The Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) credential provides you with a recognizable demonstration of your personal and professional achievement and commitment.
Who administers/recognizes the CFRE?
The CFRE Program is governed by the CFRE Professional Certification Board. The program and the board is administered in cooperation with leading philanthropic associations:
- Association of Christian Development Professionals (ACDP)
- Association for Healthcare Philanthropy (AHP)
- Association of Fundraising Consultants (AFC)
- Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP)
- Association of Lutheran Development Executives (ALDE)
- Canadian Association of Gift Planners (CAGP)
- Association Canadienne des Professionnels en dons Planifies (ACPDP)
- Council for Resource Development (CRD)
- Fundraising Institute Australia (FIA)
- Fundraising Institute of New Zealand (FINZ)
- International Catholic Stewardship Council (ICSC)
- National Catholic Development Conference (NCDC)
- North American YMCA Development Organization (NAYDO)
- Philanthropic Services for Institutions (PSI)
- United Way of America
What is the ACFRE?
The Advanced Certified Fundraising Executive Program is administered by the ACFRE Professional Certification Board.
Certification as ACFRE requires successful completion of four stages of the process, which must be completed sequentially: a written application, a written examination, a portfolio review, and an oral peer review.
What opportunities meet the ACFRE requirements?
Candidates for ACFRE Professional Certification should be aware that not all "advanced" or "senior executive" continuing education opportunities are acceptable for the ACFRE application process.
To be eligible, such activities must address one or more specific topics in Advanced Organizational Management or Advanced Organizational Leadership, as described in the ACFRE Application and Guidelines.
What criteria do I need to satisfy?
Those interested in pursuing an ACFRE certification must meet the following criteria:
- Have at least 10 years of experience in professional fundraising.
- Currently have or hope to attain a leadership or managerial role in philanthropy.
- Want to expand their knowledge and understanding of fundraising history, philosophy, and theory beyond a basic level, and/or
- Have identified the ACFRE designation as a career objective.
For Job Seekers: Whether you're looking for a new job, or ready to take the next step in your career, we'll help you find the opportunity that's right for you.
For Employers: The AFP Career Center is the premier electronic recruitment resource for the industry. Here, employers and recruiters can access the most qualified talent pool with relevant work experience to fulfill staffing needs.
AFP is proud to announce its new online consultants and resource directory. Be one of the first to take advantage of this great opportunity. Increase your revenue by placing your company in front of fundraising and nonprofit industry professionals worldwide.
One of the largest collections of resources for the fundraising professional. Both members and non-members can order AFP Bookstore products. AFP members can save an average of 10% off non-member prices.
The AFP International Conference on Fundraising is held each spring and brings more than 3,500 fundraising professionals together to discuss, teach, and learn about important trends and issues related to fundraising and philanthropy.